Information for this post adapted from Bill Bright’s: Basic Steps To Successful Fasting and Prayer.
How you begin and conduct your fast will largely determine your success. By following some basic steps to fasting, you will make your time with the Lord more meaningful and spiritually rewarding.
Step 1: Set Your Objective
Why are you fasting?
In addition to determining your objectives personally ask God to lead you into His objectives for your life/ministry. This will enable you to pray specifically and strategically.
Step 2: Make Your Committment
The Empower 21 ministry is designed with a bend toward the Daniel Fast. However, there is personal and pastoral discretion in how long you fast and what kind of fast you undertake. Making a specific commitment will help sustain you when you are tempted to abandon it.
Step 3: Prepare Yourself Spiritually and Physically
- Begin with an expectant heart (Hebrews 11:6).
- Do not underestimate spiritual opposition (Galatians 5:16-17).
- Focus on God and His attributes (Psalms 48:9-10; 103:1-8, 11-13).
- Confess any sin the Holy Spirit calls to your remembrance (1 John 1:9).
- Ask God to fill/re-fill you with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18).
- Eat smaller meals before you begin your fast.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
Step 4: Expect Results
- The Lord will give your fresh, new spiritual insight.
- Your confidence and faith in God will be strengthened.
- You will see answers to prayer.
- You will be refreshed mentally, spiritually, and physically.
- You will be positioned to receive blessings and breakthrough.
Remember to visit http://www.awake21.org and participate in their virtual conference. You will hear 3 speakers daily giving a devotional on fasting.